The new system to deal with this program has changed for 2019.

The first step is to fill an on-line form. It is a simple form and fairly straightforward. 

Then IRCC will select Sponsors to fill the 20,000 spots available on a first come, first served basis. 


The same rules apply in so far as being eligible to sponsor and for the parents or grand-parents to be eligible to be sponsored. The rules are summarized below.

Sponsoring your parents for permanent residency


When you sponsor persons who are members of the family class, you must sign an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (or with the Ministère de l'Immigration. This is a document you sign and is a promise you will provide for your parents or grand parents.

The d basic requirements for the family members you are sponsoring such as:


  • food

  • clothing

  • utilities

  • personal requirements

  • shelter

  • fuel

  • household supplies

This also includes other health care not provided by public health, such as eye and dental care.

The undertaking ensures that these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. The length of undertaking for sponsorship of parents, grandparents and their accompanying dependents is 20 years.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin as soon as the person you are sponsoring and, if applicable, his or her family members arrive in Canada.

About co-signer

Your spouse or common-law partner may help you meet the income requirement by co-signing the sponsorship application. A common-law partner is a person who is living with you in a conjugal relationship and has done so for at least one year prior to the signing of the undertaking.

The co-signer must:

  • meet the same eligibility requirements as the sponsor;

  • agree to co-sign the undertaking;

  • agree to be responsible for the basic requirements of the person you want to sponsor and his or her family members for the validity period of the undertaking.

The co-signer will be equally liable if obligations are not performed.

Sponsorship eligibility
  • be 18 years of age or older;

  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;

  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class;

  • live in Canada;

  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;

  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;

  • prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the persons included in your sponsorship undertaking. You may also have a co-signer.

You are ineligible to sponsor if you meet the following:
  • are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability,

  • are in default of an undertaking, an immigration loan, a performance bond, or family support payments, 

  • are an undischarged bankrupt,

  • were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issue.

  • are under a removal order,

  • are detained in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison.

How long is the sponsorship for?

When you sponsor a parent or a grandparent, the undertaking is valid for 20 years.

Federal Income Table for sponsors of parents and grandparents

For each of the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date on which the application is submitted to CIC, the sponsor (and co-signer, if applicable) must meet the Minimum Necessary Income, which is based on the Low Income Cut-offs plus 30%. The 2016 income requirements are as follows: 

Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Can you withdraw your sponsorship?

Once your parents have arrived to Canada, you cannot withdraw from sponsorship. You may withdraw before the permanent resident card is issued.

Suite 300,

160 Quarry Park Plvd SE

Calgary, Alberta T2C 3G3