Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Canada

Immigration Consultant in Calgary, AB

There is a yearly program where you can apply to sponsor your parents or grandparents. You need to meet the income requirement for the past 3 years based on your current family size however. This sponsorship program is on hold at the moment.

In the mean time, another way to get them here is to get a Supervisa which allows them to remain in Canada for up to 2 years. You also need to have enough income in the past year and need to supply them with health insurance.


It was announced that Canada's 2020 online lottery program will open October 13, 2020, until November 3, 2020. After the three-week period ends, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will randomly select potential sponsors and invite them to submit applications.

How To Apply For the Parent Grandparent Program Lottery

Canadian Citizens and permanent residents residing in Canada can submit an ‘interest to sponsor’ their parents form online for Permanent Residence in Canada.

In the next while (IRCC has not specified when) a draw will take place and selected applicants will have 60 days to complete the application to sponsor. There will be 10,000 available PGP spots in 2020 and 30,000 in 2021.

The date for the 2021 program has not been announced yet.

Step 1

The online PGP Interest to Sponsor form opened on October 13 and until November 3 2020 until 12 PM EDT.

When you apply you need to declare that you have the Minimum Necessary Income to support their parent or grandparent. Here is the income table describing the income you need for every year depending on the number of people you are responsible for:

Step 2

IRCC will review Expression of Interest and issue an Invitation to Apply to 10,000 applicants.

Step 3

Applicants will have 60 days to complete and submit their PGP application. Please contact me quickly if you receive an invitation to apply, because 60 days is a quick time frame to respond.

PGP Alternative: Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

Individuals who have a child or grandchild in Canada, and who wish to spend an extended period of time with their families in Canada, also have the option to apply for the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa. While they will not have access to health insurance or be eligible for employment, a Super Visa will permit them to stay in Canada for up to two years. A Super Visa is only available to someone who is either the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. The parent and grandparent super visa is a temporary resident permit that allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit Canada for up to 2 years per visit, and visit multiple times over 10 years without renewing their status.

In addition to sponsoring a spouse or dependent child, the Family Class allows Canadians to sponsor their parent(s) or grandparent(s) for permanent residence. Sponsors must meet the minimum requirements to sponsor a parent or grandparent, including meeting the minimum income requirements.

The Sponsorship program in this category is an annual process usually held in January. The system has changed from year to year and at the time of writing the 2020 program was on hold due to the pandemic.

There is a minimum necessary income requirement based on family size. You should include yourself, your spouse, children under age of 22 and your parents in the total count when the application is submitted.

Check here once more information is provided by IRCC concerning this important program.

As an alternative, and quicker alternative, you can also apply for a Supervisa which is valid for up to 10 years and which allows your parents to stay in Canada for up to 2 years at a time.

Other family sponsorship

Are you a ‘’lone Canadian’’ ?

A lone Canadian is described as Canadian permanent resident or citizen who does not have any of the following family members currently in Canada or eligible to be sponsored:

  • a spouse
  • a child
  • a parent
  • a grand-parent

For example, if Abdul does not have living relatives such as he is single (or widower), and has no children who could be sponsored and both his parents as well as his grand parents are deceased, he may be able to sponsor someone else to Canada regardless of age or relationship!