• ​Letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada. List is here LINK

  • Proof of financial support: $10,000 plus tuition for 12 months for a single student ($4,000 more if there is an additional family member)

  • Police certificate and medical examination might be required.

Required if:

  • You need a study permit is your studies will be for a program of more than 6 months  

  • Any program that requires a coop or internship

  • a minor accompanying a parent who is in Canada as a visitor

  • the person is from a visa-exempt country

Study Permit NOT required if:

  • Program is 6 months or less

  • Family or staff member of a foreign representative accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs

  • Member of a foreign armed forces under the Visiting Forces Act

  • Citizen of another country with registered Indian Status in Canada

  • Minor children attending pre-school or kindergarten

  • Minor children who are refugeess or refugee claimmants or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants

  • Minor children in Canada accompanying a parent(s) who is allowed to work or study in Canada, and will attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

Who can apply from within Canada?

  • Caregiver who has applied for PR

  • Spouse/Common-Law partner accompanying Canadian citizen/PR and has applied for PR

  • Person accepted as PR under Humanitarian and Compassionate case

  • Refugee (not rejected)

  • Family members of the above

  • Students who have completed a short-term course that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution

  • Person holding a study or work permit

  • Person subject to an unenforceable removal order

  • A member of the armed forces of a country that is a designated state

  • An officer of a foreign government

  • A participant in sports activities or events

  • An employee of a foreign news agency

  • A person who is responsible for assisting a congregation or group

  • Exchange or visiting students

Who can apply at the Port of Entry (POE)?

  • A national or permanent resident of the USA

  • A resident of Greenland, or St Pierre and Miquelon

Working while studying

  • Must be in good standing academically

  • On Campus

    • WP not required

    • must have a valid study permit

    • Enrolled full time at a designated post secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General interest/Preparatory programs not eligible)

  • Off Campus

    • WP not required

    • Have a valid study permit

    • Enrolled full time at a designated post secondary institution (ESL/FSL/General interest/Preparatory programs not eligible)

    • Program must be at least 6 months in duration

    • Can work up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full time during holidays

  • Co-op or interns

    • WP required

    • Have a valid study permit

    • the intended employment must be an essential part of the academic program but no more than 50%

    • ESL/FSL/General interest/Preparatory programs not eligible

  • Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)

    • WP required within 90 days of graduation

    • Have a valid study permit

    • WP usually same length of study program up to 3 years

    • Study program must be full time and a minimum of 8 months in length

    • Have graduated from a designated institution

    • No prior PGWP has been issued - once per lifetime

    • Cannot be extended


Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials  Tel.: (416) 962-9725                                                                                                          Fax: (416) 962-2800Contact: Website:      


Alberta International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) Tel.: (780) 427-2655Toll-free in Alberta: 310-0000, ask for 427-2655Fax: (780) 422-9734Website:

British ColumbiaInternational Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)Tel.: (604) 432-8800Toll-free within North America: 1 866 434-9197Fax: (604) 435-7033 Website: 


ManitobaAcademic Credentials Assessment Service- Tel : 204-945-6300 Toll-Free within North America: +1-800-665-8332                                     Fax: +1 204 948-2148   Website:


Ontario    Comparative Education Service (CES) School of Continuing StudiesTel.: +1 416 978-2400 Fax: +1 416 978-7022Web site:

Suite 300,

160 Quarry Park Plvd SE

Calgary, Alberta T2C 3G3