Work Permit



A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), formerly known as a Labour Market Opinion, is a legal document provided by Employment and Social Development Canada that will allow a skilled worker to work in Canada.


A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment will determine that there are no qualified Canadians or permanent residents seeking the position that the skilled worker wishes to have and will allow the skilled worker to apply for a work permit.


Work Permits may be issued by Canadian immigration officials without the LMIA requirement in a limited number of situations, as follows:

  • Under international agreements, such as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA);

  • Due to the significant economic, social or cultural benefits the work activity will bring to Canadians;

  • As part of reciprocal agreements Canada and its provinces/territories have entered into with other countries, such as youth and teacher exchange programs;

  • So that international students studying in Canada can fulfill academic requirements, known as co-op placements;

  • To allow the spouses/common-law partners of Work Permit and certain Study Permit holders in Canada to work in Canada;

  • Because the nature of the work is charitable or religious;

  • In recognition that certain persons in Canada for reasons other than the above-mentioned, such as the making of a refugee claim, need to support themselves.



Qualifying For A Work Permit

Once a positive LMIA is received, then we can also assist you in obtaing  a  Work Permit. 


Once the LMIA is granted, the Canadian employer can provide a temporary job offer to the foreign skilled worker. The employer must send a copy of the positive LMIA along with a detailed job offer letter to the foreign skilled worker.


Our Work Permit Service can take care of the entire Work Permit process for both Canadian employers and foreign workers.


Note that a Canada Temporary Work Permit is for those foreign skilled workers who plan on working in Canada for a finite period of time. To work and live in Canada on a Permanent basis, foreign workers must undertake the Canadian immigration process.

However, a Temporary Work Permit may be a stepping stone to Canadian Permanent Residency. Once in Canada on a Temporary Work Permit, a foreign worker may qualify for Canadian immigration (Permanent Residency) under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), through a Skilled Worker category, or through one of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).




If a foreign employee comes across issues of inadmissibility, we can help with overcoming those issues as well.


There are a number of reasons someone may be inadmissible. For instance a driving under the influence is a criminal matter in Canada and will likely render the employee inadmissible to Canada.


There are solutions we can assist with implementing to facilitate the employee to become admissible.


Services for Companies


We provide immigration services for Companies such as Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA),  Work Permit Application, NAFTA support and Temporary Resident Permit application for those otherwise inadmissible in Canada.

Suite 300,

160 Quarry Park Plvd SE

Calgary, Alberta T2C 3G3