The Dependent Child Sponsorship Program

Dependent children are defined as either natural or adopted. You may sponsor your children to live with one or both parents as permanent resident in Canada.  The child sponsorship program is a subsection of the Family Class of immigration.

Of course, you will need to apply in order to get your child to Canada as a permanent resident.


The IRCC makes the decision on such request once we have filed for the appropriate visa.

One of the element of this approval is to prove the relationship with the child (or children). This may be done via birth certificate or DNA sampling in some cases.

In the case of adoption, the sponsoring process may start before the adoption has been finalized due to the length of time it takes to get the necessary approvals. 

The sponsoring of a child becomes more complicated especially if the other parent is no longer a spouse of the sponsor. However, there are steps to be taken in order to mitigate these difficulties.


Contact us for more details. 

Suite 300,

160 Quarry Park Plvd SE

Calgary, Alberta T2C 3G3